Get List Item, passing in a query?

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Can we getlistitems by passing in a query?

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Sure.  Look at the available options on the doc here.  We've tried to mirror the documented interface with the function options as closely as possible.

M.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM

How about for anonymous sites?  I have a public facing site that I want jQuery to grab some anonymous access lists.  And I do not want the user to have to log in.

http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2009/04/09/calling-the-sharepoint-web-services-with-jquery.aspx

This blog completes this task except its just not wrapped up in a pretty function call.  Any thoughts?

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Jan's posts were one of the inspirations for the library.  We do have the GetListCollection operation implemented, which Jan shows in his example.

Unfortunately, we can't call the Web Services anonymously.  You should look at using Data View Web Parts (DVWPs) in SharePoint Designer.

M.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Your library works as advertised.  It just may not be a direct fit for me.

The purpose of using the web services for me was to try to speed up some slow requests.  I have access to the object model and was just trying to see if web services was faster.  I am using the model extender to show a master/detail view of a list.  It is a little slow and was hoping that jQuery could step in to save the day with its dialog box.  I will just go back to the object model approach.  Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2009 at 5:18 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I would strongly encourage you to look at DVWPs.  I've used them for many things and I've never had performance issues.  You can use Aggregate Data Sources to "join" multiple lists.

M.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I need a method to let users query a SPList from a form.  The dvwp's seem a little rigid for my application.  I couldn't find a nice way to arrange the layout of the filter box.  My site is not in a standard SharePoint design and so I am using the GridView object from a webpart to do my heavy lifting for me on the backend.  This is then styled to my sites style instead of the SharePoint vb- styles.