One child with multiple parents.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Hi here is the scenario, I hope you 'd helped me to clarify if this is possible :

I have a catalog which is 'Network';

I have another catalog wich is  'Country', and another one, 'Region', which would be the child of 'Country', because it has a lookup field to Country.

I have another catalog list, named 'Element'. It has a  lookup column to network , one lookup column  to country and one lookup column

Then, i'll implement multiple lists which would be related to these 4 catalogs ( lists), and would have 4 columns: Network, Country, Region,  and Element.

In the edit / new form.aspx, the jQuery would filter perfectly country - region, then the user would select a network, ant then  I'd like the element's drop down, to be filtered by the network AND by the region.

¿Is it possible?

Many thanks in advance,

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:48 AM

The way the SPCascadeDropdowns function currently works, you may be able to get this to work.  Is the relationship between the Network and the Element a one-to-many relationship?  You can have multiple calls to the SPCascadeDropdowns, and they will fire in sequence.  You could use the function four times: Country -> Region -> Network -> Element.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Hi, sympmarc:

Thank you for your answer.

The cascading model that you are proposing would not be like  'Country -> Region -> Network -> Element', because network is not related to country neither to region.

The dropdown of network would contain always all the items of the catalog, ( without cascading or filtering), the same applies for 'Country'.

Once the user selects a country, the SPCascadeDropdown function would filter the values in the Region country.

Once the user selects a network AND a region, the elements catalog would fill up with values based on 2 filters: The Region selected and the network selected ( which , again , both of 'filter criteria' aren't related).

I hope I did explainmyself better, Please help me Sympmarc to know if this could be posible  using SPCascaeDropdows functionor whichever solution to solve this problem :)

Many thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:26 AM

I think I understand better now.  I don't think that you'll be able to get the Network/Region -> Element working with the library as it stands.  (The Country -> Region relationship will work fine.)  You could certainly take the SPCascadeDropdowns code and alter it for your purposes.